Choosing a Top Dental Surgeon
If you need to have a complicated medical procedure done, you would do research and hunt around to try to find the best medical specialist to do that procedure. The same approach should apply to dental treatments; you should put forth a great effort to find a top dental surgeon to perform any complex dental procedure.
Rather than simply asking your regular dentist for a referral, you should actually do some research. This is because you need to check into a surgeon’s education and training and experience before trusting him with working on a tricky or intricate procedure in your mouth. Certainly, you can research any referral dentist your general dentist gives you; however, you should not limit yourself to examining that dentist only when looking for a top dental surgeon. You can find a list of top dental surgeons with our dentist directory on our website.
What you need to do first is ask your general dentist what type of dental surgery you need—ask what branch of dentistry it falls under. This is important because it will help you find top dental surgeons in that field. Here is a general guideline of the major types of dental surgeons and what types of dental surgery they typically do:
- Root canals are commonly performed by these dental surgeons. They also do “pulpotomy” and “pulpectomy” surgeries, which are both precursors to root canals.
- Endodontic surgeons also do apicoectomy procedures, which are root-end surgeries.
- Top dental surgeons in this field often perform dental implants.
- Crowns, bridgework, and dentures are also commonly done by prosthodontic surgeons.
- Complicated extractions are often performed by top dental surgeons in the field of orthodontics.
- Apiectomy surgeries, where bone structure around a tooth must be removed, are also performed.
- These surgeons perform procedures necessary to control periodontitis, or severe gum disease.
After finding out what type of dental surgeon you need, it is time to find some names of surgeons. You can use the Find a Dentist search tool here on this site to help you with that. Simply select the type of dentist you need—such as “orthodontic surgeon”—and then type in your location. You will then see a list of names of dentists. This is a list of all of the dentists in your area that are the type of dentist you need.
Now, to choose a top dental surgeon from this list, you will need to do some research about these dentists’ qualifications. You can do this in three different ways. The easiest way would be to click on the name of each dentist on your screen—this will bring up a profile page with the dentist’s information, including his education and training. However, you could also choose to either call the dentist’s office to find out this information or you could check with your State Licensing Board.
Compare the information for these dentists to choose a top dental surgeon. Look at how long each dentist has been practicing surgery and how much experience each one has had. By looking at all of the available information, you should be able to choose a top dental surgeon.